Saturday, July 5, 2014

The Good,The Bad,and the Ugly


Yeah, that would be the adjectives that would best describe this past week. Since Monday (June30) I must have put over 600 miles on my little red Suzuki car. The week before I got with blogger Robert over at the "Middle Ages" in Iowa. And that Monday we had a little bloggerfest in his hometown if Ames, IA. Which for me is a 220 mile trip one way. I arrived about 12 noon, and we met for lunch at BBQ place called Hickory Park. They have very yummy food, and even at noon on a Monday the place was packed. Robert informed me the crowds are even worse during school on the weekends! After lunch he insisted he pay for our meal even though he didn't have to, again Thank You Robert! Afterwards we hopped in his car and went on a tour of the college town of Ames. There wasn't much we could do outside because that part of Iowa was in two thunderstorm warnings maybe later on a flash flood warning. Because of the weather we just did a lot of drivebys of the ISU campus, city parks or two and were my new friend Robert works you know all the cool sites. :-) Unfortunately Robert's partner Matt wasn't able to join us because of work, I keep forgetting that it was a weekday and some people have to work. Well our time ended all too soon, my friend told me he had to be some where at 5:00 so we wrapped it up. He took me back to my car that we left at the BBQ place. I did bring my camera, but with all the running around town I didn't think to take any photos. And I should have got one of us before we headed our separate ways. Oh well, maybe next time. I told Robert if he's ever in Omaha be sure to give me a shout and we can do a meet up again. I hope he can bring his other half along. The way Robert talk about him, Matt seems like a really nice guy! Well that was the GOOD part of my past week.                                                                 Now for the BAD. A co-worker had asked me a while back if I could drive him to his doctor's appointment Wed.(July2)in Omaha. His brother would do it but couldn't because he was out of town. So I told my friend Dave I would be more than happy to do a buddy a favor. The only problem is Omaha is 85 miles away, and we had to leave at 4:00am. I got up at 3:30am or in military terms 0'dark 30 to get ready and over to Dave's house by 4:00. I just had one small problem, my normal wake-up time wasn't until 5 more hours. I think I did get about 4 hours sleep. Now before I go any further, I've had about a 20 year history with Dave, mostly at work. I've slowly tried to be his friend, but he's very hard person to get to know. He's a very private guy, and doesn't want anybody knowing any of his business, what he does, were he goes. It's only in the past couple of years he's opened more up to me. So I wanted to help him out to prove I could be his friend and trust me. Although if he knew I was blogging about him he'd be p!$$ed. The reason for the trip to the doctor's trip to Omaha, was to repair some problems in his foot. The past 20 years of hiking and biking wore his feet out. This guy would put more miles on his bicycle in a week than I would on my car in a month. I always heard that one should not be friends with an adrenaline junky, which I think my friend is. Any way his operation was for 7:00 and with post-op and recovery be sprung by 11:00. Just one more problem, on the way out the doors of the medical facility one of his incisions started to bleed out. Back to recovery for him, where the PA and nurse re-dress his foot, I'm no expert but it looked like he only bleed out 30-50cc of blood. But better there than in the back of car. By the time we did get out of the hospital it was lunch time. Dave wanted to stop at a Greek place in Omaha called King Kong gyros and burgers. We just had sandwiches both of them were about the size of a 45 RPM record! Not the place to eat unless your very hungry. With all the running around we did, turning his pain med prescriptions in, filling my car with gas (6.5 gal x $3.50), picking up meds. I got him home around 4:30pm, by then the nerve block was starting to wear off. Since then my poor friend has been laid up on the floor with his foot up in pain. :-(  That was the bad part.                     Now for the UGLY; While my friend and co-worker was getting his foot worked on, on, I did  some looking online the week prior and found the address of a guy I met online about 5 years ago. Mike and I  chatted for a little, talked on the phone.  Finally had a chance to meet for lunch one Saturday a few days before Thanksgiving. I thought we hit it off good. That was in the winter of 2009/10, very cold and 8-12 inches of snow about every 2 weeks. Well in Aug.-Sept. 2011 things started to get a little weird. I would call no answer, email, nothing. One time I went to were he worked, he acted strange and had a strange look in his eyes. I've seen that look before, like he was saying " your a good guy....but" A week later I sent him an email his reply was I don't want see or talk to you any more good-bye.  I went to Mike's house Wednesday morning (July2) about 8:00am. When he first saw me I think his reaction was one of shock, I don't think he wasn't happy to see me. He asked how did you find were he lived? I asked if I could come in? Of course he said NO! I have to get ready for work. I told him sorry to bother him, have a nice day. All in all the conversation lasted about 30 seconds. I at least hoped we could talk for 5 mins or so. His birthday was this past weekend so I wanted to wish him Happy birthday. I knocked on his door 3 more times after he shut it in my face. So I left him a note on the windshield of his car. "Sorry to bother you. Don't worry I won't come around again. Have a nice life. RAH" It went down about like I thought. Here is a pic my friend Mike. One of the last times we went out to eat.
                   
My Good Friend Mike ,but I'm Not His


8 comments:

  1. Lucky you to get to meet Robert! He was only about 100 miles from me earlier this summer, but with his students, so it wouldn't have been easy to meet up. Maybe next time.

    It's nice to be able to help friends. I know when I broke my wrist back in 2003, I'd have been in a world of hurt without them to schlep me to and from the hospital for the surgery, and stay with me for the first couple of days until I could stand with the painkillers in me.

    Interesting how your former friend reacted. As to meeting online - how so? A gay site? Something like that? The reason I ask is because his reaction seems like a former friend of mine who after a rather short, but torrid relationship with me informed me he wasn't gay, and then he cut off all contact. I wonder if the same thing happened here?

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay, Yes it was lucky that I was able to meet up with Robert! Last Week I had the time off, he had some time free before the 4th weekend. I emailed him back in June, and Monday 6-30 worked for both of us. I asked Robert if Matt could join us, but he had to work. I kept forgetting it was a week day and some people have to work. I just hope I didn't impose myself too much. I did kind of invite myself out to Ames, but like I said he was fairly close and I like the comradely of fellow bloggers I like I experienced last March. As far as my friend Dave goes, I'm trying more to get into his inner circle and show him he can trust me. I will help anyone I can, and it just so happened I was free that day. I don't know which way he swings???? I've been trying to find out for sure. He's close to 60yrs and never been married. To be honest I thought he was hot the first time I met him. lol. Also Jay you asked about my friend??? Mike. Yes I did meet him online at Match dot com. I was him for about 15 months, same as your friend he said in an email that he didn't want to see or talk to me any more. He told me he came out in 2005,was married for at least 20yrs and had two boys. And that he divorced his wife and came out to the kids. He said he even studied for Baptist seminary. And before that he grew up Catholic, if that's true he's got more problems that I care to deal with. So maybe your right he isn't gay anymore and went back to the wife. If that's the case, that fact makes me feel a whole lot better. For the longest time I really missed my friend Mike. Thank you Jay for bring me back to reality and realizing it's time to move on. Well after this long winded answer I'll say chat with you later. 73s Randy.

      Delete
  2. you are SO lucky to meet robert! have not met him (or his handsome hubby yet), but there's always tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi AM honey, I had a great time over Ames, IA . Robert showed me all around Ames, IA. It's not too large a city only about 55,000 pop. Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet Robert's hubster Matt. I kept forgetting it was a week day and some guys have to work. I told him if he's ever coming to Omaha to give me a call and we could all hang out for a day. Before I had to leave for home I mentioned that next year's Bloggerpalooza was going to be held in Philly. He thought that was interesting because he has family in the area. So if we can all make it next year, it be kind of neat to fly to PHL on the same flight. Have a mini blog fest on the way out east. I liked Robert and I think you will too. Well back to work tomorrow. :-( Randy

      Delete
  3. My you lead a full life! :-)
    I always appreciate your updates no matter 'good' or 'bad'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy,
    First let me apologize for being so late to reply to your very interesting post. Who knew there was so much drama out in Nebraska? If I can be so bold as to offer you some unsolicited advice, from my experience most guys you meet on Internet dating sites (if not all) have problems. You know somehting about my domestic situation (together with Bill 50 years this past July 3rd). Even though I am "partnered" I always had the understanding that I could "look." For years I looked first in bars, then I gave up that ghost when I was 37 years old. For the next six or eight years I tried the gay classifieds. Met a lot of guys, all liars. Everyone to the end. Then the Internet came into play and I tried that. Same result, all liars looking at the most for a one night stand (or two) but I was interested in a relationship. Then about fifteen years ago I "retired" from the active search for the "right guy." Not that I don't love Bill, I do and I would never leave him but I was looking for that perfect match. Then, out of the blue, a guy happens to see my photo on the Internet, does some research and find my blog, leaves a comment which I just happen to be on the computer at the same time and I reply to him. Thus we started a dialogue which lead to FaceTime. Still, I wasn't "looking", this "guy" was just some nice guy who commented on my blog. Then one evening I made an offhand remark "If you're ever visit Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, let's get an old time photograph together." I didn't expect him to take me up on this offhand remark, I was just being polite. Guess what? He took it upon himself to make the trip the next week and the next thing I knew he was here, much to my surprise. Even more to my surprise, when a few minuts after I met him, I knew he was "the one." It only took me about 52 years, but I found my match. You met him, his name is Pat. I can write about this as a comment to your blog post but not on my blog, because I don't want to hurt Bill's feelings. As I said, I love Bill (we, as human beings can love more than one person at a time, yes we can) and I would never leave him (Pat understands this) but finally, after all these years I found someone who is a perfect match. And the moral of this story? It too can happen to you Randy. Never give up, even with people like "Mike" are cruel to you, never, but never give up. There is someone out there for you and he is looking for you.
    Keep blogging Randy. I'm glad we're friends.
    By the way, I'm not proofreading this so please excuse any misspellings.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way, who is this "Robert?" Could you send me a link to his blog?
    Thanks!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your blog..Really nice information for Maruti Suzuki Car service station.

    suzuki mot & glasgow mot

    ReplyDelete